The Las Olas Barber Shop History

Las Olas Barbershop has been a fixture on Las Olas since 1951. Located at 1400 E. Las Olas Boulevard, the shop was owned and operated by Ben "The Barber" Adamo. He was a gentleman of the old school and was greatly loved and admired by all who knew him. He ran the shop till the day of his death in 1997. We still maintain this high standard today at the Las Olas Barbershop offering traditional atmosphere, quality and stylish cuts, and great service. We are open 7 days a week. Walk-ins and characters welcome.
For information or an appointment FIND US NOW


IN THE NEWS

Luckily, the barbershop carries on Ben's same traditions. since 1997, David Quinn has been the owner, and many of his local customers including three generations of families, still return for their regular haircuts. When David took over, he rebuilt and refurbished the interior and exterior, while preserving "a piece of history on the boulevard"

Recently, David decided that with the exciting renaissance that he's seen taking place on Las Olas, that it was time for a facelift-we think he was watching a lot of those extreme makeover shows on TV-and, like a lot of those makeovers, David has kept some of the old things, like Ben's picture, golf club and newspaper write-ups that still hang in the shop. "We have spruced up the shop with the addition of chrome and porcelain Paidar barber chairs from 1937, installed wood floors, repainted and put in new sinks and a canopy," David noted.

The barber's cabinets date back to the 1930s, and the Paidar Barber Pole that still spins out front is from 1948. "We hope that Ben would be pleased with the changes," David added. Everything in the shop was rebuilt or refurbished to keep the shop as original as possible and to preserve a piece of history on the boulevard. "We also have tried to maintain the level of service and friendliness that every customer of Ben's could count on," David said "Many people have come to know Linsay R, Linsay E, Julia and Karli, our barbers.

This article was written by Kevin Lane and published in the November 2005 Go Riverwalk.